If you told me 2 years ago that I’d be writing this blog post, I’m not sure I would have believed you, but friends, here we are…and I could NOT be more excited!
When I became a mom I felt this prick in my heart to start paying attention here or there to what was in our food and products, but it was just a couple years ago when I finally came to a crossroads. I spent my son’s preschool years using up all of my sick days year after year to stay home and care for him. What started as an occasional cold seemed to become a string of viruses, pediatrician visits, germs shared back and forth, and one desperate mama. When one bad winter season turned into two, I finally waved the white flag. That’s when I made it my mission to up my family’s immune systems and overall well being.
This right here might be one of my FAVORITE changes we’ve made over the years. I had always heard about the incredible benefits of elderberry syrup, but the appeal of controlling my own ingredients and knowing exactly what was in the things we were taking completely appealed to me. I had toyed with the idea of making my own, but that seemed WAY too labor intensive and incredibly intimidating. Oh friend, how wrong I was!
And so…now we’re here! We have spent the better part of the year perfecting our homemade elderberry syrup and WOW, I only wish we had started this sooner. Not only have we had one of the healthiest winters, my husband loves it so much he’s taken over the process whenever we run out.
Ok but why not just buy it, you may ask? Here’s why we decided to try (and continue) making our own:
- It’s super cost effective. We’ve compared the cost of the ingredients to what a MUCH smaller bottle would cost us online and it winds up being cheaper, even with all of the quality ingredients we use.
- We’ve customized the formula to be even more powerful and immune-boosting that traditional elderberry syrups. We use elderberries and gogi berries (aka, wolfberries) which add a huge amount of antioxidants to the recipe. These antioxidants are incredible for ridding the body of free radicals and extra immune boosting support.
- This recipe calls for local honey, which has unmatched benefits to your immune system when using honey from your own area.
- We add (although it’s optional) two powerhouse essential oils to give us maximum immune support.
- When you make something yourself, you control the ingredients and know exactly where they come from. Talk about peace of mind!
So there you have it! Ready to take the plunge with me? I promise you won’t regret it! Be sure to check proper dosage for the age of the person taking it, especially children. If pregnant, consult your caregiver before use. Here’s to happy and health seasons year round!
Homemade Elderberry Syrup Recipe
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup organic elderberries
- 1 cup goji berries (aka wolfberries)
- 1 cup raw local honey
- 2 drops Thieves vitality essential oil*
- 2 drops Lemon vitality essential oil*
- organic cheesecloth, for straining syrup after cooking
*Young Living brand, oils are option but add maximum immune support
- Combine water, elderberries, and goji berries in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and begin to simmer. You can simmer anywhere between 3-8 hours, all day, or overnight. We usually start the process in the morning and simmer until dinnertime.
- Remove syrup from the heat. Carefully strain into a glass container, such as a mason jar using a cheesecloth.
- Add honey and allow to cool before putting on the lid and placing in the refrigerator. I personally wait until the syrup cools to add the oils.