Hello, second trimester! It feels so very good to write this post, the first one I’ve written on our pregnancy journey! It didn’t even really occur to me to even journal this pregnancy on the blog until I found myself doing pregnancy research (after all, it’s been almost 8 years since being pregnant with my son!). Like most of my story, I love to share to connect with others in a similar stage of life, and so this shouldn’t be any different! My hope is to share this pregnancy journey as we expand our blended family, dress the bump, share all of the clean and toxin free products I’m loving, and everything in between.
This week’s updates
- Feeling large and in charge this week, ha! It’s so very true what they say…you pop WAY quicker with the second one 🙂 After cutting all of my pants, I figured it was time to upgrade the wardrobe. This incredible alternative to a traditional belly band turns any pair of jeans into maternity! I also decided to grab this pair of maternity leggings and this one and they are AMAZING.
- We went for our genetic testing last week and had them do the gender blood work as well…and the results are in! We haven’t peeked yet…we’re not quite sure how exactly we want to do a little reveal at our small family brunch next weekend, but either way, stay tuned!
- Sleeping is getting a bit more uncomfortable. But for those of you that don’t know, my husband is (luckily) an amazing chiropractor. We bought a table so that I can get adjusted at home and it’s made a HUGE difference. I’ve had a huge reduction in hip pain from sleeping on my side and helped reduce my morning sickness. I can’t recommend chiropractic adjustments enough during pregnancy!
- Feeling like a NEW woman with a new ‘do. Finally paid a visit to my favorite stylist for some coloring magic. Now that I’m in the second trimester, I felt comfortable going. But what REALLY made the decision easy is that she uses All-Nutrient, the best organic and natural hair color. My hair hasn’t been tolerating blonde well the past year or so, so it was time to get healthy and go over to the dark side 🙂 I’m absolutely loving it and looking forward to getting these locks healthy before baby arrives!
- SO much fruit (oranges, grapes, blueberries)
- walnuts and brazil nuts
- blueberry muffins
- any kind of fried potato
- Pirate Booty (a gluten-free puffed rice type snack)
Morning sickness tips
Oh my word…can we just call it all-day-sickness?! It truly is worth every single moment over the toilet, but if I’m honest, it’s the worst, ha! It was crippling up until week 10 before resolving a bit. I was sick my entire pregnancy with my son, so having some reprieve this time around so early on has been amazing! I still get sick most days, but I’m sharing some tricks that have helped tremendously in managing it. Friend, I hope these help because boy, do I know the struggle this can be!
- Take your prenatal at night. This might seem like a no-brainer, but it was the first change I made. I keep the bottle on my night stand so I never forget right before I lay down.
- Eat as soon as you wake up. I literally wake up and walk right to the kitchen. Lately, a gluten free blueberry muffin has been my go-to. Lots of water and a snack first thing made a world of difference.
- SeaBands. I really thought these would be a waste of money, but they have helped SO very much. I put them on every morning the minute I get out of the shower. Do yourself a favor and get a pair early on in the first trimester.
- Eat small meals often and proactively. An empty stomach is a recipe for disaster. The more empty your stomach, the more the acid can wreak havoc. As my husband puts it, pack snacks like you’re a toddler, haha! But in all seriousness, I don’t leave the house without some plant based protein bars, granola bars, or the like.
- Get adjusted! Again, not as a biased chiropractor’s wife, but as a fellow preggers, this will change your pregnancy journey.
Products I’m loving
I know all too well the DEEP level of research we do on resources and products while growing a human. Who else constantly wonders where to turn for info or what products are safe to use for you and little peanut?! I’m so excited to share each week any resources and products I’m absolutely loving. Take a look at what I’m loving this week:
- Letters To My Baby book: my sweet husband got this for me as a Valentine’s gift and oh my word, he’s won gift giving for the rest of the year! This book is full of envelopes with different prompts on the front. It guides you to write letters throughout different parts of your pregnancy and your baby’s early years for them to open in the years to come. Cue *all* the happy tears.
- The Happy Planner: With all of the baby appointments to keep track of, my son’s sports practices, and keeping track of our family, this planner is my FAVORITE! I’ve used it for years, and with tons of ways to customize your planner, it’s literal gold. I’ll be doing a whole blog post on just this soon, but check it out and grab one for yourself in the meantime.
- The Betsy Bosom Baby Book: I’ve given this book to so many friends who are expecting and am so excited to finally get to use it for myself! This book goes over EVERY single essential oil and which ones are safe to use during pregnancy, labor, and even the newborn stage! It breaks pregnancy down by trimester and gives thorough guidelines for safety and symptom suggestions. This is a book I’ve read multiple times and can’t get enough!
- Be on the lookout in the upcoming weeks for my favorite beauty products that are safe for pregnancy…I have so much to share!
Ok friends, that’s it for this week! I just love ya’ll and am so grateful that you let us share this sweet little journey with you all. Thanks for cheering us on, celebrating with us, and praying with us over this little peanut. We are one lucky little family!